Client: B-works, an agile digital agency with offices in Zurich and Bolzano, focused on strategy, agile Web & Software Development and Marketing for ambitious, tailor made digital projects.
Industry: Digital services, Web & Software Development, Digital Strategy Consulting, Digital Transformation, Marketing
Objectives: Launch the corporate website as a single page application (SPA) to introduce B-works with its skills and talent base to the market
B-works role: Front-end development, Back-end development, SEO, Analytics
Project size: 100+ man days over 4 team members at B-works
Finally for top-5 SEO ranking we needed to ensure fast site loading speed (performance), as well as crawlability for Google to index the website properly.
About the client:
B-works is a full-service agile digital agency with offices in Zurich and Bolzano, focused on Strategy, agile Web & Software Development and Marketing for ambitious, tailor made digital projects.
As part of our Digital Strategy we define our client’s business goals with KPIs, proactively add ideas and map out a strategic digital roadmap, which may include UX designs as the basis for estimating and implementing a project with web and software development.
As a third pillar we focus on data-driven Marketing, which includes tracking KPIs with Analytics, continuously improving online marketing measures including SEO and SEM, as well as improving the user experience to lower the customer acquisition cost and cost per order through conversion optimization.
A new and innovative, fast-loading single page application website was to be launched, that would feel like an App, while being indexed well on search engines
The time available for this project was 4 months and included the following objectives:
- Set up a multi-language Content Management System (CMS)
- Site loading speed under 5 seconds (without videos)
- Connect external data tracking tools and Google Analytics and track conversions through Analytics Goals and Events
- Top 5 search engine ranking for defined short- and long-tail keywords
- Launch the website within 4 months
- AdWords and Social Media Marketing on Facebook and Linkedin
- Cost per conversion under 100 Chf
Process and tools:
Key for successful and on-time delivery of this project were the following factors:
- Setting up a team of 5, consisting of two senior designers, two senior developers and a product owner
- Developing 6 customer personas for each of our target client typology, which resulted in UX requirements for Content, Design and Functionality of the single page application
- Developing a user-centric design in Sketch by employing UX practices including development of customer personas
- Prioritizing technical requirements and features based on business value and technical implementation feasibility
- Weekly sprints with sprint review, retrospective and planning with Jira
- Back-end development with Drupal 8
- Connecting Front-end and Back-end with a RESTful API
- Monthly time reporting using Jira
- Agile testing and parallel bug fixing by developers
- Setting up goals and events in Google Analytics to track conversions
- Drupal 8 content management system (CMS)
- Drupal 8 back-end development/ PHP
Benefit to the client:
Finally, proper indexing of the website on Google, across the two technologies, was a challenge which required research and testing, while monitoring the Google ranking over time.
A key learning in the development of this single page application was usability in developing the CMS to seamlessly create and build pages, which would display on the front end, after “translating” from the back-end to the front-end technology.
Key benefits for the client:
- Delivery within budget and deadline, 4 months after project start
- Versatile single page application that allows building new pages with responsive modules, fit for different content types (i.e. Blog, Careers, Services, Testimonials)
- App-like feeling with no loading time when entering sub-pages
Potential for further development:
The experience from building this ambitious headless single page application with VueJS and Drupal 8 has been useful in developing the re-launch of www.pistor.ch in a time effective manner and by avoiding pitfalls.
Future projects will benefit from expertise related to developing and integrating a highly usable and customer friendly CMS (Drupal 8) with a cutting-edge front-end framework (VueJS) for modern, dynamic, app-like web experiences and enterprise applications.
B-works product owner
For further contact:
E-Mail: [email protected]
Phone: +41 (0)44 500 2615